With concerns over the Coronavirus growing daily, SSMS hopes to offer you some comfort by being completely transparent as far as our plans of prevention, preparedness, and how we plan to respond should we have any cases reported within our school.
Currently, we are working with interim guidance suggestions from the CDC based on what is known at this time. We are following the same guidelines that we follow during the flu season:
- Wash hands often with warm soapy water for a least 20 seconds. Having your child sing the alphabet song helps to ensure proper timing.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands and wash afterwards as well.
- Avoid contact with people that are sick.
- DO NOT SEND SICK CHILDREN TO SCHOOL. If your child suffers from fever, congestion, flu-like symptoms, or coughing, please report this to SSMS. A doctor’s note will be required before returning to school.
- Cover your cough/sneeze with a tissue throwing the tissue in trash immediately. Help us help your child follow this precaution as well.
- Acceptable backup would be in the arm of your sleeve, NEVER into your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces. (we clean throughout the day)
- If you have traveled to places that have outbreaks, please stay home symptom-free for 14 days before returning to school.
- If you develop symptoms during this time, contact the health department. Do not visit a Hospital or Doctor without first calling ahead.
Sharing Information is very important for us all:
- Should your child be absent, please call or email us with an update.
- See a Doctor before returning to school (should there be any respiratory issues) and bring a release to return to school upon the first day back.
- Should we have any cases reported, we will activate our Text by Choice to communicate this to you. We will continue to offer our program daily following preventative disease measures.
- We will immediately report any cases to the CDC and local health department and follow all recommendations set forth by them.
- We will closely monitor absenteeism for any large increases in student/staff absences. Particularly respiratory illnesses.
- We will separate sick children from the classroom until they are picked up (parents, please respond to this call immediately)
- Sick staff will be requested to leave.
Temporary dismissal of school would be followed through with, should we receive this recommendation from our health department as a method of stopping or slowing down the spread of COVID-19.
If a student or staff member attends school prior to confirmation of Coronavirus, we will work with the CDC for a recommendation, maintain communication with our families, maintain the confidentiality of student or staff member and continue to offer our program (following all steps of maintaining a safe and clean environment that was communicated earlier and that is offered daily at SSMS.)
At this time, there is no need for us to panic, we all are just being proactive and taking preventive measures given the circumstances.
Thank you for your continued support and cooperation.
For the updated information about COVID-19 log on to: dph.georgia.gov/novelcoronavirus or cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/index.html. Find answers to frequently asked questions at cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/index.html.